Ferrero increases transparency of cocoa supply chain
The Ferrero Group is proud to disclose for the first time its tier-1 suppliers and all cocoa farmer groups from which the company sourced cocoa and chocolate during the 2019/2020 season. This disclosure is now possible due to Ferrero’s effort to improve transparency across its cocoa supply chain, aiming to source all cocoa from dedicated farmer groups through supply chains which are fully traceable to farm level.The Ferrero Group is committed to sharing updates on its cocoa farmer groups list regularly from now on.
As part of our Ferrero Farming Values programme, we are committed to supporting and improving cocoa farming sustainability to have a positive and lasting impact on cocoa farming families, their communities and the environment. It is crucial that we deliver on our promise to consumers to provide products of the highest quality and freshness, produced in a responsible way. We approach this by ensuring:
- - We source 100% sustainable cocoa verified by independently managed schemes such as Rainforest Alliance, Fairtrade, Cocoa Horizons and others.
- - Already more than 90% of our total cocoa volume is sourced from the dedicated farmer groups we support through the Ferrero Farming Values Cocoa programme.
- - We mainly source cocoa beans and we process these in our own Ferrero plants. This requires specific know-how and is a distinctive feature of Ferrero’s quality promise. Also, Ferrero sources these beans as physically traceable. It means that we know where our beans come from and that there is a direct link between the farmers that supply us, and the cocoa used in our products. This puts us in an advanced position to tackle sustainability issues in a targeted way.
- - We use technology to map farms and sourcing areas so that we know their location, size and productivity, as well as monitoring deforestation risks.
- - We support the local farmers with our sustainability programme, which focuses on three areas: improving the livelihoods of farmers and communities, protecting children’s rights and safeguarding the natural capital.
Ferrero is committed to sharing updates on its cocoa tier-1 suppliers and farmer groups list regularly.
We invite you to read more about our cocoa sustainability programme in our Sustainability Reports.